Who am I?
I am Julia and I love Biomedical Visualization. What is “Biomedical Visualization”? Well it can be called “Medical Illustration” and traditionally involved drawings and illustrations for textbooks and journal articles etc. Now almost everything is done on the computer but I still like to sketch with paper and pencil.
I earned my M.S. from the University of Illinois at Chicago in Biomedical Visualization, one of only 4 accredited programs for medical illustration in North America. Click here to see my Graduate Project Research
I earned my B.S. from the University of Arizona in Physiological Sciences. Physiology is the study of how your body and cells work. I took almost every science class imaginable and ended up with a minor in Chemistry. I also minored in Studio Art.
My style is creative and different from what you may think of from medical illustrators. I believe work accurately created in 3D is the future of my profession. It’s really fun to play with 3D software such as Cinema 4D and ZBrush. I also enjoy the creation of beautiful 2D illustrations in Photoshop and Illustrator.
What projects have I worked on?
While at Eveo Inc. I worked on many pharmaceutical projects with large teams of other artists. Here are a few online examples of the award winning pharmaceutical animations that we produced.
- Prolia Mechanism of Action (MOA) Animation – Winner of 2011 Telly Award
- Denosumab RANK Ligand and the Vicious Cycle of Bone Destruction Animation – Winner of 2011 Telly Award
- XGEVA Mechanism of Action (MOA) Animation
- Prolia Stories from Women Like You Video – Winner of 2011 Telly Award
- Pulmozyme HCP Mechanism of Action (MOA) Animation – Winner of 2011 Telly Award
- Pulmozyme Consumer MOA
- Rituxan RA Mechanism of Action (MOA) Animation
- Rituxan RA Patient Case Histories Videos
- Tarceva Mechanism of Action (MOA) Animation
- Tarceva PA.3 Studio Video
- Xolair 101 Video
- RELENZA Mechanism of Action (MOA) Animation – Winner of 2010 Telly Award
- Gilenya Mechanism of Action (MOA) Animation – To view, click on GILENYA MOA Video under GILENYA Resources
Where am I?
What software do I use?
I do my work on a macbook pro computer and I’m very comfortable on both Mac and Windows based computers.
Here’s some of the software I work with:
- Adobe CC – Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, AfterEffects, Premiere Pro
- Corel – Painter
- MAXON – Cinema 4D (including the ePMV plug-in)
- Pixologic – ZBrush
What are some other things I’m interested in?
I like knitting, ballet, sewing, anime, steampunk, vintage things, unicycles, farmers markets, and cooking/baking.